Top-quality wine requires, first of all, that only the best grapes make it to the bottle. In order to ensure that the vineyards produce only the best grapes, it is essential to manage the vines closely, to adapt to their needs, and adjust to each seasonal change. Lorenzo Misciattelli, lives on the estate with his family, and every day tours the vineyards to monitor progress and see what needs to be done. The estate comprises a multitude of different soil types, allowing the different grape varietals to be planted only at the most suitable sites with respect to soil type, microclimate, and sun exposure. The vineyards include typical Umbrian and Tuscan varietals: Sangiovese, Montepulciano, Sagrantino, and Canaiolo Nero together with international varietals Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. The vineyards total approximately 13 hectares and a lot of labour (especially manual) is required to ensure that all the vines are producing fruit of consistently high quality. Work in the vineyard can easily exceed 400 hours per hectare until the grapes are ready to be harvested and turned into wine. These hours in the vineyard – all done by hand from the earliest pruning to the harvest – are of vital importance for the final result in the cellar and in the bottle.

The field and cellar workers are made up of a core team that work on the estate permanently, employed throughout the year, and all possess great expertise when it comes to vines and wine. The entire team is dedicated to quality and is proud to contribute to the production of excellent wines. For the harvest, the team increases to meet the demands of seasonal workload

The winery produces an average of fifty thousand bottles per year, approximately 75% of the production is for export, and the remaining 25% is for the Italian market; In addition to the team in the fields, there is an in-house team, that takes care of wine sales on site and export, guides tours & tastings and administrative duties.

Tenuta di Montegiove operates with a special focus on the environment, workers’ safety, production hygiene, and traceability with standards surpassing those required by law.